Wednesday, December 10, 2008

NBX G.P. of Cross Verge NECCS Race #8 - Dan C

Dec 6, 2008, Warwick, RI - Day 1 - Cold and dry
Masters 35+ 1/2/3
Race #32 of the season for me.
 
Lots of people talk about courses being either "power" or "technical" courses and there was a lot of talk that this was a "power" course. I am not 100% sure I agree with courses being one type or another, but I know that typically I do well at this venue with the various courses that they have done here. In past years I have placed 15, 16 and 18th in the elite field, so I had high hopes that this would be the perfect place to halt my downward slide in results from the past few weeks. Unfortunately that would not be so.

This venue is great for cyclocross. Pavement, two long beach ride/runs that finish with an uphill runs - one hill twice as long as the other, a slight uphill with the barriers, lots of off-camber corners, some roots, some woods, some grass fields, a pedestrian bridge over the roadway just beyond the finish line, a round building in the middle of the course with registration, results, food, beer, and warmth. They have been putting on races here for many years. They have one course that is quite similar year to year but now that they have gone to a two day event, they have done quite different and varying courses the other day. Cross in NE doesn't get much better that at Goddard State Park.
 
I arrived to the start line around the time I usually would, knowing that because of the points I have in the Verge Series that I would get a front row seeding. But for some reason, everyone was lined up in the grid already. Would I have to start in the back? Luckily they were not using the right most starting lane, so I rolled right up to the front in this lane. A non-New England official asked if I was supposed to be there and asked what my number was and all the racers around him, and some NE officials all told him I should. The officials told me to look out for the little "lip" on the right side about 10 meters from the start line. That is why they weren't staging in the lane. Normally I would never do anything like walk past everyone and grab a front row spot, but I think everyone knew that I belonged up there and no one seemed to make any noise like I should not be.
 
My race wasn't very exciting. My start wasn't great and I quickly realized that my legs weren't either. They were pretty horrible. After maybe a lap and a half I had worked my way up to 8th place or so with the leaders far enough ahead that I didn't really have any chance in getting up there. About 1/3 of the way through the race I clipped a pedal on a root in a corner which caused my rear wheel to jump to the side about a foot and a half. This caused a small part of my tire bead to pop out of the rim. No big deal. It happens at least once a year to me (second time this year). A small consequence of using clincher tires and running them at low pressures (typically 32-35 psi for me) so that you can get some traction and some shock absorption.

The pit, which was a double pit, was close by, but my bike was on the other side. I had to get through a bunch of bikes, get mine, pick it up over my head, get to the correct side of the pit and then get back on. By that point about 10 people had gone by so I was now in about 20th. The next lap I passed a few back and then rode the rest of the race in a group of 5 or 6. I finished at the back of this group in 15th place. I know, not too bad, but when I have 4 top 5's in other Verge races, my expectations are higher.
 
I had to drive back to Easthampton that night to go to Melissa's work holiday party. The drive home was one that was filled with good thoughts. Thinking of getting to go out with Melissa in a  dress (her, not me), the pints of Guinness, the scallops wrapped in bacon, the cannoli and eclair for desert, and of the race tomorrow. I usually race better on day 2. My legs couldn't feel any worse than they did day 1. And 1-2" of snow was forecast to fall over night. I love racing in snow and usually do well.
 
Day 2 report to come later.

Incredible photos by KenScottPhoto.

No comments:

Post a Comment